Certified Texas teachers serve as Counselors during the residential summer experience of High School Aerospace Scholars. Counselors, along with the team mentor, guide Texas rising high school seniors to team success during each six-day residential experience.
While at JSC, the responsibilities include:
- mentoring a team of students to collaboratively develop a space mission
- helping NASA mentors facilitate the onsite team research projects based on the online activities focused on science, technology, engineering and mathematics
- enforcing the student rules and dress code during the week at JSC
- staying at the designated hotel during the duration of the activity
- chaperoning the students at all times, including, but not limited to, while onsite at JSC, during field trips and tours, and at the hotel morning and night
- abiding by Rule 247.2 Code of Ethics and Standard Practices for Texas Educators of the Texas Administrative Code
There is no cost to you. All expenses are included (i.e. travel, lodging, transportation and food) while at JSC. In addition, you will receive a stipend. Counselor applications open in February, followed by interviews. Invitations to participate are offered in April. Notification regarding expenses will be shared after invitation acceptance. Thank you for your interest in serving as a Counselor.