Frequently Asked Questions
- Who is eligible?
- How do I apply?
- What is the timeline?
- What will I do if I’m selected to participate?
- What will this cost?
- How do I obtain more information?
- What happens after I submit my application?
- Why must I select my state legislator and senator in the application?
- Who do I contact if I do not receive a confirmation email after I submit my application or if I have problems with the website?
- How do I get the science elective credit?
- What if I still have HAS questions?
- Are there additional student resources?
Applicant must be:
- U.S. citizen
- Texas resident
- High school junior
- Interested and excited about science, technology, engineering, or mathematics
- Committed to a one-year relationship with Johnson, including a designated six-day onsite summer experience
- Able to access to the Internet (home, school, or public library)
The HAS application is not currently accepting new applications. Please check the Important Dates to see when the next application will open.
- September: State Legislators receive information describing the activity, its guidelines and outlining their roles in the selection process.
- September-October: Application and selection process for students.
- November-February: Students engage in interactive online learning and discussions related to space exploration, including webinars and online discussions with NASA engineers and scientists.
- April-May: Selected students complete an online teambuilding course with their teams to prepare for the onsite experience.
- June-July: Onsite summer experience at Johnson Space Center
Online: During the school year students complete an online course. This state-aligned STEM curriculum focuses on Earth, Aeronautics, International Space Station, Moon to Mars, and the Solar System. The course includes interactive lessons, rubric-based activities and quizzes.
Onsite: Highest achieving students receive an invitation to a six-day residential summer experience at Johnson. In this portion of the course, students collaboratively work with a team to complete a Moon to Mars mission design challenge by working with NASA mentors, engaging in hands-on engineering challenges and visiting Johnson facilities.
No cost for selected students and counselors. HAS provides transportation, housing and meals during their summer experience at Johnson.
For questions not answered on the website, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You will receive an email from email@example.com confirming the submission of your application. Your application is considered complete once we have received all of your supporting materials. You are notified by email notification as each item is received. Award notifications of acceptance to the online course will be sent in early November via email from firstname.lastname@example.org
You must carefully select your state legislator and senator from the drop down menus in the application. As part of the application process, we will notify your local legislators of your wish to participate in the High School Aerospace Scholars (HAS) and seek their nomination for your acceptance into HAS. Please do not contact your state legislator’s directly. We will communicate with them during the process on your behalf. You can find your local legislators here.
Please send an email to email@example.com and be as specific as possible.
Upon successful completion of the online portion of the course, supporting documentation will be provided to students for a 0.5 Science elective credit. If students are selected and successfully complete the onsite summer experience, additional documentation will be provided for a second 0.5 Science elective credit. The elective credit documentation will be provided to the student, who is then responsible to submit the documentation to the school.
For both the online and onsite portions of the course, it is at the discretion of each student’s high school as to whether credit will be awarded.
For more information about the NASA High School Aerospace Scholars activity, please email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.